Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Moment My Life Changed


Today's Blogtember challenge is to describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn. 

I couldn’t think of a moment for a while and then it occurred to me, the moment.
It was the day I left Colorado to move to New York. 

We had spent the previous days packing our little apartment into the U-Haul.  A friend had come from NY to help John drive the U-Haul back.  I was flying with our nine month old daughter a couple days later. 
My mom was the one to bring us to the airport.  I knew it was going to be a hard moment for her, it was going to be a hard moment for me, but I always feel like I have to be strong in front of my mother.  I’m not sure why but by the time we had gotten to our gate they had started loading the plane.  I had to quickly say my goodbyes and get Kayla back into her stroller. It was hurried and awkward, and I ended up pinching her skin in the stroller buckle.  My mom was crying, Kayla was crying, and I was just trying to get on the plane with everything.  I’m not good in emotionally intense situations.  I know there were things I should have said, but didn’t.

When we left Colorado, I knew I would be back to visit, I even might have thought that this might not be forever.  But what I didn’t know is the life that awaited me. 
Looking back now 19 years later, I cannot imagine who I would be or what I would be doing had we stayed in Colorado.  My life has been blessed with many amazing people who have given me so much that I can’t image ever having not known them.  I have ‘come home’ to the Catholic Church.  I have been fortunate to have had several different jobs that I have been able to excel at and learn so much from.

As much as I miss my family, and as much as I desperately wish they would come and see what my life is like here (only one of my sisters has ever come here), I truly wouldn’t want to move back.  (Although I would like to be able to visit more often).

Thanks for stopping by.
Signature white text

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooohhh....So happy you are commenting!